Monday, September 6, 2010

Family Home Evening with our little monsters!

We haven't had FHE in a long time and tonight we decided we needed to officially start doing it on a regular basis instead of always just talking about it. I realized recently that FHE has always seemed so hard to me because we have never really had a habit of doing it regularly in our family. But I realized that FHE can be as short as 5 minutes if we want it to be and it's better to do something like that than nothing at all. Our ward is improving the nursery program so I was thinking that we could just reenact the nursery lessons for Kira each week so the repetition will help her remember them. The lessons teach good principles like love one another, sharing, I am a child of God, Jesus loves me, etc. So tonight we talked about sharing and also about families. I showed Kira a picture of a family and asked her to point out the mommy, daddy and children. I explained that mommies and daddies and grandparents love their children and that Jesus also loves us. We asked her how to share and she got a ball and gave it to Zoey. It was so cute! =) She was totally getting the message about families and how to love each other. She also LOVED singing hymns. We sang "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" for our opening song and she just kept yelling, "Song!!! SONG!" So, we did another song, "I am a child of God." Then did a prayer while she threw a fit because she wanted more songs! So then we did our short lesson and did 2 more songs and then had a closing prayer. It was really fun. Kira was so cute and funny. Ian had a great idea to get Kira's attention too. He laid out a blanket on the living room floor because he knew she'd get excited and come and sit on the blanket so we could all be together. I think we will keep that technique up. She gets so excited when we lay out a blanket on the floor for some reason. She starts screaming and jumping and then lays out flat right in the middle of it. So wish us luck next week. =) I also just ordered the comic book from ldscatalog.com called book of mormon stories. I'm excited to get that in the mail. =) Do you have any suggestions of what to do for FHE for kids Kiras age? Let me know if you do! We want to be able to have visual aids for her and keep it interesting. I'm excited. Hopefully we will keep this up and that way our children will grow up with strong testimonies of Jesus Christ, understand His love for them and they will also grow to love Him as Ian and I do.

No comments:

background