Monday, November 29, 2010

What I'm thankful for

This last Thanksgiving felt like an extra special one to me. I think it all started because of the great relief society activity we had in November. I wasn't even planning on going but I was sort of guilt tripped into it... Good thing that person was inspired. We had a lesson on being grateful for the little and big things around us that we take for granted everyday. Things like having a gas station on the corner, the people who work at the grocery store, the trash man, the toys our kids have, the food in our freezer, the warm clothes and blankets we have, our families, our testimonies, friends, family, a prophet, the scriptures, a working toilet, etc. I began to think of so many things I was thankful for. We made a list during this activity and then put it in a little frame so we could keep it out as a reminder of what we were thankful for. I thought of more things like my camera, the beautiful pictures I have of my children, my car, Costco, my husband, my husband's testimony and priesthood, my parents, Ian's parents, siblings, friends, our tv, computers, my kitchen table, bed, couch and other things that make our home pretty to look at and enjoy. I am also thankful for prayer, the atonement, the temple, my temple marriage, sealing power, the Plan of Salvation, weaknesses because they make me a better person, my calling and everything that I have in my life to help make me a better mother. I'm so thankful for Ian's job and that he can go to school and receive an education in a field of his choice. He can be whatever he wants to be and he has been willing to give me my dream of staying home and raising my children. I am so thankful for this every day. I wake up and am so thankful that I can take care of my kids rather than rush off to work somewhere and leave them with someone else. I just really know that the Lord is looking out for us in all our decisions and our needs and desires. There are so many reasons why I know this and I'm so thankful that I have a testimony that the Lord loves me. This knowledge is so comforting to me each day of my life. I just felt I need to write down these things I'm thankful for because I feel so grateful and I want everyone who reads this to think about the things in their lives they have been blessed with and are grateful for. I'm so glad we have a holiday each year to remind us to reflect on these things. I hope this year I can be better about remembering these things all year long. I really enjoyed having thanksgiving dinner with my family. It was nice to spend time with them cooking and eating and watching Chris Farley movies. We don't do that very often and it was really special to me to spend time with them and for my parents to spend time with my children.

No comments:

background