Saturday, February 23, 2013

Leah and Zip's accident

On Valentine's Day morning, our two dogs Leah and Zip got out of our gate when I was taking out the trash. I called Ian frustrated and panicking about what to do. The girls were still in bed and I wasn't sure if I should go looking for them or hope that they would come back home. Less than 5 minutes after they ran away, and during my phone call with Ian, I received an incoming call from someone saying that she just saw two huskys get hit by a car on Wardlow. She saw the car hit both dogs, slow down, but then drive away leavin them. So this nice lady got out of her car to see if the dogs were okay. Zip was killed instantly. Leah was still gasping for air when the lady called me. She pulled Leah and Zip off out of the road and onto the sidewalk where they wouldn't be a danger to traffic. The girls and I hurried as fast as we could down the street to the scene of the accident which was literally a few houses away from us and when I got there, they were both already passed away. I was so devastated, completely shocked and completely freaking out. I was beside myself with anger, sadness and denial that this was really happening. I kept wishing I would wake up from a dream but it was all so real and I couldn't believe that I was there looking at the bodies of my two beloved, sweet animals. Ian came home from work as fast as he could to help me deal with everything. He was such a support to me that day and while I was a complete emotional wreck, he took care of the kids and the dogs and was my rock. We decided to bury them ourselves because we didn't like the idea of having them cremated at the animal shelter or the pound. Ian's dad comforted me with his words of the resurrection and reminded me that when we die, our dogs will be waiting for us and they will run to us with excitement and they will know us and be so happy to be reunited with us once again. We were able to say our goodbyes to them in a nice way. We actually held a beautiful little funeral in their honor. It felt really cheesy and like something out of a movie, but honestly it felt so good because I felt like they deserved it. We loved them so much and Ian thought it would be a good idea to tell Zip and Leah why we loved them so much. I kept thinking of so many reasons why I loved them. They always made me feel so safe, they were so sweet, such sweet and pure spirits, they were so full of life and happiness. They were always so good with our children. Never did anything bad towards our kids. Kira and Zoey could just lay right on top of them and the dogs would just let them.  I loved watching the children interact with them. They had little things I loved about them. I loved how Leah's booty would shake all by itself when she'd dry herself off... I loved how Zip's tail was constantly up and curly all the time. His tail was never down. I loved the snarly noises they'd make when they played together. I loved how Leah would be so territorial and protective of her own things and how Zip was such a gentleman and just let her be all dramatic. They were really funny... totally a little married couple. They really gave us more happiness then we realized until we lost them. Losing them made me think of the gift of life and how precious and fragile it is. I am so thankful for my family and for the loved ones in my life. I am still upset about the whole thing and in denial and I miss them so much. I am writing about it a week and a half after the fact because I'm finally composed enough now to write it all down. I wish they could still be here with us. But I know that their spirits have moved to a peaceful and happy state and they will play and play until we can be with them again. The girls understand that Leah and Zip are with Jesus now and they have been keeping Leah and Zip in their prayers that they will live again and we will see them again. Sometimes Kira asks me when we are going to see them again and today she said, "Mom, why is it taking so long for us to see Zip and Leah alive again?" It's so hard to explain to her that she has to be patient. Please everyone be careful, drive safely and cherish your loved ones. Bad things can happen in a split second and your life can change so quickly. I just wanted to show everyone what beautiful dogs they were and let everyone know what happened. I am so thankful that Leah and Zip recently became parents because now we have their puppies to remember them by and honor them. We love you Leah and Zippy boy!
More to come about the puppies!

1 comment:

Eva said...

Those are nice pictures of Zip and Leah. Zip was such a happy little guy.

background