Friday, July 20, 2012

New callings

Ian and I recently both received new callings!!! Ahhh! Ian was just called to be the 1st counselor in the Elder Quorum presidency! I'm really excited for him in this new calling. I am a little overwhelmed because Ian will be starting up school next month and will also be continuing to work full time, so I hope he will still find time for me and the girls and be in a good mood when he comes home at night... haha. I know that with new callings we are blessed for our service and we are so thankful for the church. The bishop has helped us out so much and we are so happy to serve and give back for all the blessings we've received in the time we've been married.

I was called to be the 3rd week Relief Society teacher. I'm really excited about my new calling. When I first talked to the relief society president about having this calling, I was so overwhelmed... but as she kept talking, she said how badly she needed me in relief society and how she has prayed and knows I'm the person they need to have in there. Well, I can't argue with that. And my friend who is the 2nd counselor also said she felt strongly about me as filling the new calling. I love how whenever we get a new calling that might be overwhelming to us, we find comfort because of our faith that Heavenly Father knows what we need and knows the needs of the people in the ward. As terrified I was of teaching adults, I knew that the Lord would give me the strength and the peace I needed! I've already taught 2 lessons and although I was so nervous both times, I really felt the spirit there in class and I really feel that Relief Society is where I'm supposed to be right now. The relief society group we have is actually pretty small, but the women are so dear. They are so encouraging and supportive and have made me feel so good about myself. They participate, pay attention and I can tell the spirit is definitely in the room. I just love that feeling. I hope I can help in some way in this calling to be an example and teach good principles and give new ideas to the sisters.

3 comments:

Eva said...

That sounds like such a good calling for you, Jessie. =) When I was released from that calling after 2 years I CRIED AND CRIED.

Eva said...

So are you still doing the marriage class?

katie said...

I wish I could be there for your lessons!! That is really cool about Ian, too. I read this post when you first wrote it, but I had already forgotten exactly what your callings were. I just got assigned a new calling today! I was kind of surprised, but I won't be the ward chorister anymore.. which I am both happy and sad about. :P I am like the activities' coordinator's assistant. So I'll get to throw parties with other people's $$$!!! ahahaah. I don't think it's cool enough to do a whole blog post about tho.. maybe Caleb will get a new calling soon and so I'll have an excuse :P
I am glad that you post about these things.. because they are real experiences.. and it is great to give back to God and others, like you said!

background